Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The hand me, hand me, hand me down...

The hand me, hand me, hand me down table

The best thing about getting married and combining spaces is probably the combining of the "stuff", right? Well, lucky for me I have been living at home for the past young years of my life so my "stuff" consists of...a bed and some clothes. Wait, lucky him huh?

My fiancé (Tanner) has been apartment living since he started college, where as I went to a local college and stayed at home. So I am now part-owner of some very interesting things....including his kitchen table.

I have always had this "vision" of what I wanted my house to look like, what I wanted my apartment to look like...and since we have moved into our new apartment (me, unofficially) I have been decorating it in my head constantly. So, of course the kitchen table HAD to be one of the first things gone. I hated it, it was handed down to him from someone who got it from someone else who got it from...who knows.

I will just say, once you refinish one thing, you started looking for things to paint everywhere you go. Even in your own house!!

I called Tanner and asked him with this extremely excited voice..
"YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN RID OF YOUR TABLE YET HAVE YOU?"
"No, no...I still have it....why?"
"....I am going to paint it!"

And so it began.

The chairs needed some work...and a trip to Lowe's, which Tanner did not complain about ONE bit! So happy he was able to fix them for me!

I should have taken a before picture of the table, but I completely forgot! Sometimes...you just get so involved in getting started you forget things! Tanner took this for me before he took it apart! (Thanks babe!) 



YUCK! Right?

I found some super cute fabric at Hobby Lobby that conveniently matched the plates we registered for at Belk! I also, oddly became a fan of red. SO I got some of Miss Mustard Seed's Tricycle Red and painted the chairs, reupholstered the seats and finished with these beauties! 


The table I was originally going to do all red as well, but my mind starts heading in super speed when I am in the middle of my projects. I decided to paint the bottom half of the table in Miss Mustard Seed's Linen and antiqued it, then I was going to paint the top of table red to tie the chairs in with the table. Once I got the bottom half painted. I fell in love with the wood top and couldn't even bare to think about painting it red! 


It looks like the table is standing on 3 legs. I stared at it for awhile too! Weird! :) 

-Excuse the mess

So, I left the wood top. I am planning on getting some red placemats or some sort of decoration to tie in the red on top of the table. 

I finished with this!


Not too bad for a hand me, hand me, hand me down.

I do have to add, having a supportive guy completely makes these projects way more fun! Thank you Tanner for allowing me to take over and make the new apartment truly my new home! <3

-Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment