Monday, August 5, 2013

Queen Victoria

A little delicate desk I like to call Queen Victoria...

This wasn't a dumpster dive find...which, let me tell you sometimes is not the best idea. I found a sweet chair on the side of the road and decided to pick it up. It took me a couple days, but once I started taking it apart to clean it I found it was infested with roaches. YUCK! I quickly put it back in the trash. I can handle spiders, but not roaches! Lesson learned...be more careful with trash diving! Usually people throw out things that have been sitting in the house, this obviously was not nesting inside, or at-least I hope not!

I found this desk on an "online" yard sale. I saw it and instantly fell in love. Of course I thought to myself "WHOOOOO WOULD GET RID OF THIS!" I am glad they did though! Otherwise, I would be deprived of a lot of happiness! It took me about 3 weeks to even decide what color to paint it, and once I started painting it I would stop and just stare at it for about an hour. It just amazes me the detail someone took the time to put on this thing! okay...so the desk. Here it is!


ahhhhh...perfection! (yes, I just stared again) I was going to refinish the top, but I am not skilled in that area yet and it wasn't one solid piece of wood. It had about 3 thin layers of wood on top of it. It also had some pretty bad chucks missing from the top that I had to fill with some "wood plastic"...(one of those 'send a man to get something to fix it' things) it worked! I just sanded it down so it was all smooth and I painted the top. Since it was so "antiqued" already...it made for some great distressing! The color I chose was Miss Mustard Seed's Dried Lavender and I kept the original knobs that were on the desk! It turned out like this..(its okay, you can stare)


The drawers are possible my favorite part. So fancy!



Aged to perfection. 

I was considering selling this piece, but, for now I will keep it with me...I could possibly let it go to a new home one day! (maybe)

-Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment